Monday, February 15, 2010

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

I loved this book! My first Dickens, and definitely not my last.
His writing style is interesting. The descriptions were very detailed, which I know is annoying to some, but I liked it. I realize he probably only did this because he was payed for every word written, but I think it just makes the book more interesting, though it also made it a long read.
The characters were all very interesting and unique, and I came to like the majority of them by the end. I really like how many of them had these little quirks, like Mr. Jagger biting his finger and washing his hands all the time, and how Wemmick refused to talk about the office at home, and about home at the office. Each one of them was extremely unique, which was great. It was a tad difficult to relate to Pip as a whole, but I found I could relate to some bits of his personality and quirks.
All in all, this was a fantastic book! I'm sad I hadn't read it sooner.

0 comments: